How business can tackle deforestation
17th-18th October 2017, Jakarta
Innovation Forum is partnering with Tropical Forest Alliance 2020, to deliver the third 'How business can tackle deforestation' conference in southeast Asia.
This two-day multi-stakeholder forum will build on previous meetings to provide practical guidance for corporations in the development and implementation of anti-deforestation policies and forest preservation practices in Asia.
We are delighted to be working with TFA2020 to combine regional meetings. In doing so we'll bring together a large, diverse group of stakeholders and create a dialogue between each of the key actors.
Over the two days, we will have focused debates and practical working sessions on:
- The politics of palm oil: Is palm oil sustainability misunderstood in Europe?
- Peatland preservation and restoration: What do solutions to current problems look like and are they realistic?
- Deforestation-free finance – are the big banks finally seeing the wood for the trees?
- Jurisdictional approaches: A more inclusive and comprehensive solution to deforestation, that actually works?
- Tackling human rights challenges on plantations - a crisis scenraio role play
- How can business address complex and entrenched land rights issues?
- Innovation in traceability and monitoring technologies: What are the cutting-edge technologies helping companies to deliver on their 100% traceability commitments?
- Smallholder engagement: finding an optimum balance between forest conservation agendas and national SDG aspirations
deputy director sustainability and stakeholder engagement
Asia Pulp & Paper
managing director, sustainability
group chief sustainability officer
Shinta Widjaja Kamdani
At Innovation Forum we are committed to bring the highest and most engaging level of content to the event attendees, and for that reason we are introducing new session formats to increase engagement and learning:
- Live crisis scenarios: The moderator will set up the discussion by creating a fictional scenario. The panellist will then work through the crisis as it evolves from a minor incident to a large-scale scandal, giving practical examples as they describe how you should – and shouldn’t – respond.
- Question time: Delegates will have the opportunity to send their questions in advance. We will select the most stimulating questions so that the discussion gets to what matters most to the audience from the onset.
- Dilemma scenario workshop: In this format, the session leaders will engage the audience in thinking critically about an issue within the context of a wider scenario. This allows the attendees to develop the skills to handle a similar set of problems in their day-to-day role.
- Q&A: This informal question and answer setting aims to provide the audience with insights into the decision-making processes of influential leaders from the government, corporations and leading NGOs.
How is this conference different?
- More time for genuine discussion – the agenda and timings have been built to provide time for in-depth debate and meaningful exchange beyond introductions and superficial outlines of initiatives. There will be a lot of experience in the room and therefore we intend for the discussions to be participatory.
- Held under the Chatham House rule – this event is not intended as a PR platform – we hold the event under a covenant of confidentiality to promote honest exchange.
- Content is designed for action and practice – the agenda and event structure is designed to provide actionable tools and practical insights that can be applied. We will also be sharing post event notes from all sessions to all participants.
Who will be there?
Senior professionsals and key players from business, government, NGOs and the investment community, will come together to discuss the latest trends and challenges faced in the effort to remove deforestation from corporate supply chains. We’re actively restricting the number of service providers to maximise the attendance of corporate practitioners and key NGOs, to ensure the conference delivers maximum value – and maximum impact.
If you would like to discuss further being involved as a speaker, sponsor, media partner or delegate. Please contact:
+ 44 (0) 203 780 7433