How business can tackle ocean plastic pollution
Develop and meet targets for reducing your ocean footprint. Build effective partnerships for innovation
26th-27th October 2017, London
Plastic pollution is choking the oceans. Researchers estimate that there are over 150 million tonnes of plastic in the ocean, with a further 8 million tonnes being dumped every year, and plastic packaging represents the major share of this leakage.
Undoubtedly, the business sector has a significant role to play in the cleaning-up and prevention of ocean pollution. In response to this, we are hosting a two-day multi-stakeholder forum where business, government, innovators and NGOs can come together to discuss and debate the most important issues, and to collaborate in an effort to improve practices and eradicate plastics in the ocean.
The event aims to cover the following issues:
- What is the role of business in reducing plastic pollution?
- How to avoid plastics leakage in the ocean – Innovative technologies to reduce inland waste and keep the oceans clean
- What are the impacts on human health and the likely impacts for business?
- Global governance: how to improve the global flow of plastics
- Changing trends: how to engage your consumers to properly use and dispose plastics
- Legislative landscape – What are governments doing to tackle ocean plastics pollution?
- Closing the loop: how to create effective partnerships to avoid plastics leakage in the ocean
- Consumer engagement – Can consumers REALLY reduce the amount of plastic that ends up in the ocean. Or is it down to business to make the necessary changes?
Kirstie McIntyre, director
global sustainability operations
European campaign coordinator
international sourcing director
The Body Shop
head of sustainability
project manager strategic sustainable development
Juan Manuel Bañez Romero
European manager of government relations
What’s different about this forum?
- Interactive sessions – with a blanket ban on PowerPoint! One-on-one case studies, live crisis scenarios, panel debates, Q&As, interactive roundtables and workshops. The conference provides a range of formats, with an emphasis on audience interaction.
- Action and practice – the agenda and event structure is designed to provide actionable tools and practical insights that can be applied. We will also be sharing post event notes from all sessions to all participants.
- The Chatham House rule – this event is not intended as a PR platform, we hold the event under a covenant of confidentiality to promote open, honest exchange.
- Hear from industry leaders – what has worked for them, and what to avoid
- Multi-stakeholder attendance – network with diverse figures from across the industry
- Understand the latest innovation set to transform the industry in the next five years
5 Reasons to attend
- 40+ speakers – hear from leading industry experts as they share their experiences, lessons learned and advice
- 100+ delegates – meet peers working in the same field and beyond, building your network and benchmarking your performance
- 12+ hours of content – insight, case studies, debate, group discussions, Q&As
- Participation – have your voice heard too, share challenges, and learn how others have overcome the same issues
- Solutions - learn about the latest innovations in packaging, waste collection, recycling and how to deliver scale
We are currently looking for a small number of sponsors who can support the forum, as well as associated research and analysis on the role business must play in the prevention of ocean pollution.
If you would like to discuss being involved as a speaker, sponsor, media partner or delegate, please drop an email to:
+ 44 (0) 203 780 7433
+44 (0) 795 649 7294